[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2015 - How's your Solara?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

2015 - How's your Solara?

2015 - How's your Solara?

Postby CosmicGrooves » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm

My '05 Solara now has 110k miles and has been mostly trouble free. At 100k miles, I had timing belt, water pump replaced and 100k mile rip off the steelership performs with tranny flush and whatever. Apparently both front axles were going bad and the steering gear box too, I guess. After $3600 bucks, the car is driving nicely... of course, I didn't notice a problem with it in the firs place, but it does seem much tighter now.
Also, now my check engine light is on and there is a weird pop when I put the car in reverse.

Toyota scam is, you buy the car. You pay off the car. You take the car in for maintenance. They charge you a gazillion dollars and tell you how bad the vehicle is. Then they try to buy the car back from you to sell you a new car payment. If you say no, your will be back for a gazillion dollars in repairs again. In the 10 years I've had this car, NEVER have I picked it up from the steelership without there being something else wrong.

Yes, the newer Toyotas will last forever as long as you keep paying the ransom.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: 2015 - How's your Solara?

Postby jimmm » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Perhaps it's time you stopped taking it to the dealer and start using a certified repair technician of your choosing whom you can trust. I am the second owner of my 2004 that I bought, come January, nearly six years ago, when it had 59K miles. Now it has 165K and still satisfies me. Of course, buying it when it was five years old, I did not have to use the dealership, but it came with a clean bill of health carefully detailed on the Carfax Report. It just so happens that my most trusted mechanic is also a friend I've known for over 30 years through his work on previous cars, and he is also a certified Toyota repair technician. I would honestly say that the only thing that concerns me are the hairline cracks that keep appearing on the dash, but they are not really that bad. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with the look and the performance of this car. After every visit to my mechanic, he always says, "Nothing to wear out." He is Korean, so I am not exactly sure what that means in translation, but I like it nonetheless. Happy New Year.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm at 99k mi right now. My only complaint would be the two rear driver's side calipers that I've had sieze up and replaced at the dealer. That's probably due to the excessive salt used up here. Aside from that the Lara hasn't left me stranded.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby aznkorboi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:17 pm

2016 UPDATE:

Bought the car in 05

163,000 miles.

I've had 2 timing belts done since then I believe. NO issues with the car at all. Seriously, none. Began putting full synthetic oil in about 3 years ago. Also with the timing belt, had a tranny flush, brake fluid flush, etc. Every 5,000= tire rotations and oil change.

Haven't taken it to the dealer in God knows how long. All the maint stuff I use the online recommended maint schedule.

but yeah, OH replaced spark plugs when I did the timing belt service too with denso ones.

NO ISSUES !!! WOOHOO.
aznkorboi
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5