[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tell me about your blown solara....
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Tell me about your blown solara....

Tell me about your blown solara....

Postby swimshady906 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:00 pm

For all ya'll with sc's, and i suppose anyone else who is interested... what is the smallest pulley people have on their cars? Who has high dyno numbers/ what are they?? THanks :D
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:11 am

I have a 7 psi pulley on my 2001 SEV6 5 speed. I also have the lower compression heads from Jim@FA. After going to this set-up, I had a dynotune, and got 246fwhp and 242lb/ft. However, the dynoruns kept causing the knock sensor to set off a CE light, and timing kept getting seriously retarded. Therefore, these numbers are low. I have just received my JP Performance headers and exhaust. After I have them installed, along with a replacement knock sensor and higher flow injectors, I will have it dynoed again. I'm hoping for something in the high 250's to low 260's fwhp, but we'll see.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kondo » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

I tried installing a 6.5 psi and blew my sensors. I currently am running stock boost and S-AFC I, I dynoed at 200HP 210FT/lb. My car is a auto though, Im getting a compression check and changing my timmibng belt sometime soon, hopefully that will help to increase my numbers, but I will never put my car on a dyno again, since it's how my car got messed up in the first place. Although this weeken I added another 10HP by putting 2 SOLARAGUY.COM stickers on my car :P .
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby Remmi909 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:41 pm

Just out of curiosity how does Dynoing your car mess it up?

Also what is a knock sensor and where is it located and how/why does that blow after the Dyno?

Alos one last question for CDSSOLARA or who ever else might know what are lower compression heads and how do they help benefit your car?

Sorry guys I'm a NOOB with all this Forced induction and engine talk. Thanks in advance!
Remmi909
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cdssolara » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:06 pm

Remmi909 wrote:Just out of curiosity how does Dynoing your car mess it up?

Also what is a knock sensor and where is it located and how/why does that blow after the Dyno?

Alos one last question for CDSSOLARA or who ever else might know what are lower compression heads and how do they help benefit your car?

Sorry guys I'm a NOOB with all this Forced induction and engine talk. Thanks in advance!

Dyno runs put a lot of stress on your engine, especially when there is not much of an interval between runs. If your car is in good running order, a dyno run shouldn't hurt your car. A lot of us on this forum have had problems because we're trying to maximize the power from our superchargers on cars that were not designed to run much boost. What usually happens is that we use a smaller pulley, which forces more air into the combustion chamber, but the fuel delivery system is not capable of providing enough fuel to match it. So, either the air/fuel ratio becomes too lean, or the compression gets really high and you get preignition, or knocking. In either case, it creates a situation that is usually recognized by the car's computer as dangerous, and it responds by retarding the ignition timing as a self-preservation action. If you look through some of the threads on the Aftermarket Upgrades section, you'll see a lot of discussion on how to solve the fuel delivery problems. We're still trying to sort it out.

The knock sensors are located under the intake manifold, or under the supercharger if you have one. There is one for each bank of cylinders. They pick up vibrations from the cylinder heads that can be due to knocking, and send a signal to the computer that sets off a Check Engine light. It always seems that once this process occurs, the knock sensors need to be replaced before the car really runs properly again. Many of us with superchargers and smaller pulleys have had this happen, especially on dyno runs when the car is repeatedly taken to redline.

Lowering the compression theoretically allows us to run higher boost. Our cars have a 10.5:1 compression ratio, which is fairly high. When you force more air into the combustion chamber, the compression ratio becomes even higher. Unless you have high octane fuel, you run the risk of predetonation under high compression ratios. For those of us in California, with our 91 octane premium gas, this is a real problem. Lowering the compression ratio allows us to run higher boost a little more safely. Or so the theory goes, anyway. The situation is a lot more complicated, but I tried to simplify it. Hope that helps.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Forced Induction