[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Pics of My ECU: Can anyone help me wire up my A/F gauge
This forum has frequently asked questions and stickies from all the Solara forums. Look here first to see if your question is answered or if the information you are looking for has already been posted.

Pics of My ECU: Can anyone help me wire up my A/F gauge

Pics of My ECU: Can anyone help me wire up my A/F gauge

Postby Yanks0114 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:37 pm

After a year of frustration I have given up trying to figure out how to wire the A/F gauge. My car's ecu looks different than swimshadys.

Can anyone help me figure out what wire to tap.

http://community.webshots.com/album/151796302HevdoV

Thanks

Edit: I have made this a sticky for a few days so we can get things figured out. Hopefully someone can help
Last edited by Yanks0114 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 808Camry » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:22 am

Funny how you posted this today. I tried the E10-12 and it didn't work for me. I was using E8-8 try that you get some sort of reading but mine wasn't accurate. That's the OXS after the cat. I came to the conclusion that a narrow band is useless for us. I'm selling it on ebay and gonna pick up an AEM wideband O2 sensor w/gauge.

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:30 am

Wow thats not cheap for the wideband. Good luck. Hopefully someone can help us.

I hope its not just the CA cars that can hook these up. It sure seems that way though

Does anyone have a 49 states car and have an a/f gauge
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:36 pm

bump

Can anyone help?
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PASolara » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:12 am

I hope some one figures it out dude I just bought one my self and i dont want to be s**T out of luck man :evil:
CAI, 3"Custom exhaust ,Ground Kit, Trd quick shifter,P&P 3 heads and intake, .flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, LSD,RSB.ES control arm busings,spring+struts
PASolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PASolara » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:17 am

Hey what u guys think of this ? http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sen ... nsor&Cart=

just a thought to have this welded in before the cat :roll:
CAI, 3"Custom exhaust ,Ground Kit, Trd quick shifter,P&P 3 heads and intake, .flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, LSD,RSB.ES control arm busings,spring+struts
PASolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:19 pm

100shotSolara wrote:Hey what u guys think of this ? http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sen ... nsor&Cart=

just a thought to have this welded in before the cat :roll:

Not going to work. You'd have to drill into the headers and make a bung for the extra A/f sensor. That connects just to the gauge and does not send to the ECU.

$100 for a/f sensor + $60 for the gauge + an incredible amount of time to mount it, and it will still be inaccurate. If thats the case, just get a wide band O2 sensor
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 808Camry » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:08 am

From Autometer themselves. I guess we need to find which wire this is since mine from the ECU are blue not black. I'm assuming from this email tap it from within the engine bay, if so be sure to insulate that wire!

Hello.

That would be no problem to install a A/F gauge on that vehicle. You will
simply need to make sure that you solder the connection you make with the violet
wire when hooking it up to the black wire on the engine harness side of the O2
sensor connector.
Thank you.
Cory
Tech/Service

Ron wrote:

> Hi I wanted to purchase the A/F Ratio gauge but wasn't sure if it would work
> on my 2001 V6 LE Toyota Camry. I've read a few forums having problems
> getting the gauge to work or where to connect it to. Thanks!
>
> Ron
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Vampire » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:22 am

I haven't done this becasue I feel narrow band is useless but E10 pin 11 or even E10 pin 12 should work. It's just that one taps the front bank and the other taps the rear bank O2 sensor. The schematic shows a straight shot from the sensor to the ECU. Even the wire color is supposed to stay the same. What kind of weird readings are you getting? Let me look into it. Terminal voltage may be an issue.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Vampire » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:16 am

Okay, I may be wrong but this is what I can gather from what I recall hearing some time ago. About 1999 Toyota started to replace std O2 sensors on their vehicles with Air/fuel ratio sensors. These sensors run on a constant terminal voltage of about 3.3 volts which is monitored by the ECU. The ECU detects changes in A/F ratio by monitoring the change in current at the sensor. The Autometer A/F gauges can only monitor changes in voltage from 0 to 1.0 volts. It will not work with these newer sensors and Autometer has no current plans to offer a gauge that can handle these new sensors. To confirm this, if you correctly hook up the gauge to E10 pin 12 you will only see one green light illuminated on the far right rich area. Your only choice will probably be to install an older style sensor. I would call Autometer to confirm this.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 808Camry » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:00 am

I've been hearing that it puts out 3.3 volts that's why some people have a/f gauges that work and some like me, it stays on green. Narrow band officially sucks!

FS: anyone want a used autometer a/f ultra-lite gauge?
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:49 pm

I think I was the reason that this info was posted. I put up a multimeter to it and found that it was around 3.3V. I contacted autometer and they said I might have a 5v o2 sensor which wouldn't work. What I can't figure out is how some people have gotten theirs to work.

Unless it only works on CA cars

Does everyone who has hooked it up has a CA spec car?
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 808Camry » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:31 pm

My friend's one worked on his 99 solara. Like Paul said I think some might have gotten the change over to the 5v sensor and some didn't yet. my car is a 2001 so I can safely bet I have a 5v.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JoeB » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:27 am

I don't know if you can get a usable signal from a narrow band gauge. I recorded the signal once. I don't recall which method if it was on an OBD-II scanner or my R4 software from Split Second but it just bounces up and down constantly. A total waste to anything but the ECU itself I guess. Many of the WBO2 sensors (not probe) will have an output to drive a normal narrow-band gauge. Then it becomes stable and usable. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Pics of My ECU: Can anyone help me wire up my A/F gauge

Postby Gadget » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:12 pm

Yanks0114 wrote:After a year of frustration I have given up trying to figure out how to wire the A/F gauge. My car's ecu looks different than swimshadys.

Can anyone help me figure out what wire to tap.

http://community.webshots.com/album/151796302HevdoV

Thanks

Edit: I have made this a sticky for a few days so we can get things figured out. Hopefully someone can help

You have to be careful.

2001 was a switch over year for the 2001 Solara when Toyota started installing the new style air/fuel ratio sensors in place of the old style O2 sensors.

If you try to connect a meter to a new style air/fuel ratio sensor it will likey get really expensive for you since they are not comaptable with each other.

If you email me directly I will send you a diagram and tell you to look at a specific plug and pin number. If you tell me what color the wire is in this specific location I can tell you if have the new or old style sensor or not.

Gadget@GadgetOnline.com

Gadget
Gadget
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Toyota Solara FAQs And Stickies