[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Reversable gauges installation
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Reversable gauges installation

Reversable gauges installation

Postby that1mexguy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:55 pm

I dont think i ever posted this here before, but for those who need a little help in installing ur reversable gauges, keep on reading. These instructions were originally for a 98 Camry I used to have, but they are just as good for the Solara since these same instructions helped me install my new gauges in my Solara. To access these instructions you need to have access to imagestation.com. Membership is FREE and all you need to do is subscribe, kind of like when u subscribed to SolaraGuy.com. Installation only takes about an hr or so. Initially it took me 4 hrs (taking the pics and writing things down) but when i installed them in my Solara and my homeboys ride, it took me about an hr. If you guys have any questions just let me know. Have fun!! :drinking:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291310149
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SolaraT » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:10 pm

doing it next weekend! Thanks. I'll give ya a ring and let you know.
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby Parke10 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:20 pm

2 things it doesnt erase the odometer when u unplug it does it?

And wut would it look like if u just put it on ovr the stock lights.
Parke10
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SC V6 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:28 pm

doesn't reset the odometer...
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Parke10 wrote:2 things it doesnt erase the odometer when u unplug it does it?

And wut would it look like if u just put it on ovr the stock lights.

If it did, Everyone would have a solara with no miles on it for sale.

And this guide is alot different from what did.

A few things. Removing the screws like in step 5 is unnecessary gauges can go in from the front.

You dont need to drill a hole either. You can remove the right most backlit bulb (Left most from the back) and route the wire though there. Its very unnoticible since thats the right side of the tach and theres nothing really lit there unless you manage to rev to over 6000 RPM or so.

Lastly, you dont need to remove the panel on the side to ground, or even touch the fusebox. The red wire can be spliced into the green wire with a silver stripe on the large connector on the right most side (left most from the back..i forget what color it is, I think its brown) That wire is hot when the lights are on, which is what you want for these gauges. And theres a grounding bolt conveniently located in the middle of the dash right behind the gauge pods. If you dont plan to change the colors of the guages, which im sure is everybody after the first few weeks of novelty wear off, you can just velcro the color changer control to the hole inside the dash on the left side.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Astro » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:29 am

Jon11582 wrote:A few things. Removing the screws like in step 5 is unnecessary gauges can go in from the front.

You dont need to drill a hole either. You can remove the right most backlit bulb (Left most from the back) and route the wire though there. Its very unnoticible since thats the right side of the tach and theres nothing really lit there unless you manage to rev to over 6000 RPM or so.

Lastly, you dont need to remove the panel on the side to ground, or even touch the fusebox. The red wire can be spliced into the green wire with a silver stripe on the large connector on the right most side (left most from the back..i forget what color it is, I think its brown) That wire is hot when the lights are on, which is what you want for these gauges. And theres a grounding bolt conveniently located in the middle of the dash right behind the gauge pods. If you dont plan to change the colors of the guages, which im sure is everybody after the first few weeks of novelty wear off, you can just velcro the color changer control to the hole inside the dash on the left side.

That's a perfect description. I did it that way.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Indiglo Gauges Install

Postby noodlerooney » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:55 am

And if you ground the indiglo gauges to the black wire next to the green wire with a silver stripe used for power instead of the bolt, you can use your stock light dimmer switch to dim them, since the dimmer switch works on the ground side of the circuit. I also like to use the vampire wire taps instead of cutting up the OEM wire. I like the ones' with the female connector built in so you just connect an insulated male spade connector to the gauge wire, makes it easy to uninstall too.
2000 SLE Flame Red Metallic, Charcoal Leather Interior, Loaded
15,001 miles, Garage Queen
noodlerooney
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DonkeKong » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:05 pm

thanks a lot for posting this. it's the only reason I was able to do this. i wouldnt of even bothered trying w/out. So, thanks a ton.
<http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/729386>
1999 Solara SLE V6
DonkeKong
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraTypeR » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:28 pm

IMHO. u don't need to splice anything.. cuz if the next person who buys the car found out tat u spliced something.. they might think u did something shaddy.. *ahem :-P

so what i did is.. i slipped the wires into the plug *where it's connected to teh dash*.. i slowly checked every plug to see which hole is grounded and gives electiricity when ur car starts up.. *seeing tat ur dash light comes on automatically.. and i just slipped the two wires into the plugs into the dash and just connected it.. i think tat's a better way.. i donno.. tat's my opinion.. :-)
SolaraTypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

HELP!!!

Postby RichD978 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:10 am

Kinda confused...

Why would there be wiring? Cant you use the old wiring? I thought you just change the guages? Could someone help me please? Im sick of the original guage but not sure if i can take on this task. I know nothing about wiring. Thanks
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: HELP!!!

Postby that1mexguy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:30 pm

RichD978 wrote:Kinda confused...

Why would there be wiring? Cant you use the old wiring? I thought you just change the guages? Could someone help me please? Im sick of the original guage but not sure if i can take on this task. I know nothing about wiring. Thanks

It's actually not that hard man, once you get the new gauges you'll see the wiring we are talking about. If you notice some of the other guys have come up with diff ways of installing their gauges but so far I'm the only one that post some pics. So what I would recommend to you is to go over the pics so you can familiarize with the process and then go over their instructions to see which one you like best. Also if you prefer, once you decide to do this u can send me a PM and i can try to help you over the phone, good luck man
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby RichD978 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:34 pm

hey, thanks for the offer. i will understand it as i go through the process, i love hands on experience. ill let you know when i order the guages. still in debt as of now heh. thanks
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Need some help...

Postby SolaraFun » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:54 pm

Hello, I installed my reverse gauges a couple months ago, but I have to turn them on and off manually. I got the ones with the carbon fiber like print in the middle. They do not change colors. There is a red, black, and on/off switch that come from the relay box. I have the red into the fuse, the black grounded and I want to figure out how to cut the on/off out of the picture and have the lights come on when my tails or headlights come on. Please let me know if any pics are needed and I will work on getting them posted.
~KT~
2002 Solara SE V6
+ 2 12" Sony Xplod Subs w/800w Amp
- Reverse Indiglo gauges
+ Carbon Fiber bezel & ebrake cover
"+" mesh grill
SolaraFun
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Need some help...

Postby Jon11582 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm

SolaraFun wrote:Hello, I installed my reverse gauges a couple months ago, but I have to turn them on and off manually. I got the ones with the carbon fiber like print in the middle. They do not change colors. There is a red, black, and on/off switch that come from the relay box. I have the red into the fuse, the black grounded and I want to figure out how to cut the on/off out of the picture and have the lights come on when my tails or headlights come on. Please let me know if any pics are needed and I will work on getting them posted.

Jon11582 wrote:The red wire can be spliced into the green wire with a silver stripe on the large connector on the right most side (left most from the back..i forget what color it is, I think its brown) That wire is hot when the lights are on, which is what you want for these gauges.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5