[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2002 SLE. What are my audio options?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

2002 SLE. What are my audio options?

2002 SLE. What are my audio options?

Postby nola » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 am

New guy here with some head unit problems. My 6 CD changer/Tape/Radio started crapping out on me and somehow mysteriously met with my fist resulting in an even more broken head unit :P All shenanigans aside, I've previously owned a Maxima and a 300ZX with the Bose systems. Now when I wanted to change the head unit on those cars, I had to change out all speakers since everything was Bose. Back to my sad Solara (at least the radio still works, woohoo for ESPN radio :) ), I have the JBL system so I'm wondering if the same requirements apply.

Can I just order a new Double Din head unit from Crutchfield and it'll go in without a hitch?
Or do I have to replace all speakers?
If I "have to" replace all speakers, does anyone know a workaround?

I've read here about a ground loop that occurs when the head unit is changed out and not the speakers, but I'm not sure if someone has found a fix for that...

This is what I'm thinking about ordering (when it's released). It resembles a stock receiver the most, but still upgrades the look and functionality...
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070X2DM500 ... uble%40DIN

Thanks in advance,
Solara owner in need of tunes!
nola
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2002 SLE. What are my audio options?

Postby PaulR » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 am

Nola,

I experienced the ground loop. I grounded the ground wire to a bolt on the chassis and the stereo works perfectly now. I used the top left bolt of the stereo, but I am sure there are other bolts you could place the wire on, or drill your own hole. I am not sure about the double din, I actually have the same question.

Hope this helps.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby nola » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Paul for the reply. Man I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted this. I went through a job change so I was forced into patience regarding my audio situation. Now that I'm stable at my new job (for Toyota woohoo!) I can afford to finally fix this!

Good to know about the ground loop, thanks for the fix! I just talked to somebody here in Austin, TX (CarToyz) and was told that I need to buy a JBL Interface if I change out the stock JBL CD changer, but what I'm reading tells a different story.

The only issues I could see arrising would be:

A: the ground loop from not changing out the other JBL speakers (which can be fixed apparently)
B: the head unit would not work with the JBL amp (which I guess can be bypassed ?)

other than that, is there any reason a new head unit wouldn't work? Thanks again for the reply Paul, and whoever else may want to chime in :D
nola
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby nola » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am

So in addition to that info, I just got off the phone with Crutchfield, and apparently, Solara models up to 2002 do not require the JBL interface to use the onboard amp. I was told there should be zero alternator noise due to low power consumption (through Crutchfield's proprietary harness), as well as zero ground loop.

So just to clarify, according to Crutchfield, only 2003 and up JBL Solaras require the JBL interface.
nola
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5